In November I took silk painting classes with Bahama Dawn. I wanted to learn how to paint a sky fabric for my art quilts. If you have ever looked for sky fabric you know how difficult it is to find a good one. I wanted to be able to create the sky that I see with all the colors and random clouds that make life beautiful.
What I discovered in that silk painting class was so much more!! Kim taught me different techniques with salt, vinegar, sugar & water. You're right, I know it sounds like salad dressing but combining these with the fabric adds flavor to the painting. I had so much FUN in class that I purchased paints scarves and fabrics. I made scarves for the women on my list for Christmas. They were the guinea pigs helping me learn...hehe
Here are the silk scarves hanging in my garden. It was really fun to make personalized gifts.
Watching the color flow on silk is amazing and almost addictive in how much I enjoy it. Color is what I love. Combining colors of fabrics to play with or play off of one another is what gives my art quilts depth and dimension. Now I am able to play with color in a brand new way. Mixing colors and watch them do their own thing on the fabric.

Here are my first two art quilts using silk backgrounds that I painted.

Picture
Feeling Blue
I painted a silk background to showcase my mighty marlin.

Picture
Arena
Arena was an old sponging sloop and this depicts a bit of Abaco history.  The sky is hand painted to get that vibrant blue and puffy white clouds.

I had so much fun playing with the paints that I decided to try some little pieces. What a great break from the long hours of art quilting. Now I am rejuvenated and inspired to create with color.

Comments

12/15/2015 11:01pm

Silk painting is a popular craft and offers artists a satisfying technique for colouring fabric.

09/27/2016 7:40am

I can imagine you saying to yourself "Why didn't I think about doing this earlier?" Silk painting is a very relaxing activity. It reminds us of art classes we used to attend when we were young. This time we must have had all the inspiration we need since we are old enough to gather a lot. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We love your work.

03/09/2016 12:07am

I'm practicing silk painting too))

05/17/2016 2:45am

Extraordinary blog entry, I have denoted your webpage so in a perfect world I'll see considerably more on this subject within a reasonable time-frame

05/19/2016 7:44am

Wow these silk paintings are amazing you have done a very good work.
The flower and the tortoise swimming painting are the master piece of your work.your work shows your true artist who knows how to play with colors

06/25/2016 1:59pm

wonderful style of art i appreciate your handwork on this painting.the flower art is so nice

10/23/2016 10:08am

I was confirming reliably this web blog and I'm awed! To a great degree subtle elements particularly the last part I tend to such data and actualities much. I was hunting down this specific points of interest for quite a while

10/23/2016 10:10am

Much obliged for partaking in subtle element. Your site is a motivation! Separated of truly valuable tips, it's equitable truly !

12/29/2016 5:49am

Eugene Delacroix is a famous French Romanticist artist whose most famous work was Liberty leading the People. Delacroix is still regarded as the figurehead of the French Romanticist school of art, and achieved similar success to reasonably similar British artists like JMW Turner and John Constable.

I guess silk painting is not easy at all. I am not skilled enough even to try it.

Silk painting itself sounds extremely imaginative, as making a workmanship on texture with silk as the canvas is truly creative. Presently, before you run with your paints and brushes, you have to know how silk painting is really done. There is nothing unordinary about the work of art, it is an immediate paint-on technique with particular colors and paints.If you would like to know about Mech Design visit us at http://www.militaryvehiclemodels.com.

07/08/2017 6:36am

Do I need some special skills to try that kind of painting? I am pretty excited about it.